Wednesday, April 9, 2014

First Visit

1. Our first visit, we had a person from the World Relief Organization there to help us get started. We were first introduced to the family and made our own introductions. After we played the games UNO and memory to get started. We played several rounds of UNO per the request of one of the girls. We then moved onto memory to start transitioning into English. After we finished with the games we split off with one of the family members to help them work on English. I worked with the mother and went through flashcards, having her name what the picture was. After we had gone through them a couple times she became restless and wanted to do what the other family members were working on.

2. While I write this, I am speaking about the parents for the most part. From what I can tell I would say that our family is have problems but are trying to adjust. They do get frustrated when working on English because they don't know the word or because they cannot get the pronunciation correct. However, they seem comfortable in their surroundings and being around us. The communication between us is hard however. They cannot speak English well. When we work with them on English, they can read the words and can connect them to pictures or meanings, they cannot put them together to form sentences. If the translator had not been there we would not have been able to converse with them. Everything they asked went through the translator and vice versa with our answers. I have noticed that they have not quite figured out our clothing. Although you can't blame her, the grandmother wears male's socks and the father wears a females belt and ring. The children however, are adjusting much better. They can speak to us and although they have trouble with pronunciation at times it is still understandable and they are willing to listen to us when we correct them.

3. What I have learned so far from will help by keeping me from getting frustrated too quickly when talking to people from other counties that may not speak English. They are going to be more frustrated than I am that they cannot get across what they are trying to say. From this first experience in the case of the faimily, I have learned what is to be expected of us and what we can help them with and somewhat of how we can help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment