Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Post Service Blog

1. Through my experiences I noticed the roles of the family members. The women seemed to be the care takers, as a couple times as we were leaving they were getting food started, and were always the ones to serve us drinks or snacks. The men, or well, father was definitely the one who was in charge or the leader of the family. When being seated, he was always the first to sit after us. However, when the grandparents were present, they were show the most respect. The father also seemed the most motivated to learn and I take this to be because he needs to be able to take care of his family, he needs to learn the fastest.

This family was extremely willing to learn. They are trying their hardest to integrate. Although they are learning English they continue to use their native language when speaking to family. While they are learning the was of the US they are staying try to their culture. On our last visit, when we entered the house they were watching a film from their own culture.

2. This experience has helped me to be more understanding when it comes to people coming to the United States without knowing English. Before I had a mindset that people should know English if they want to live in the US since it's the national language. They could speak their own language to their family but if speaking to me they should know English. However, now I know that just because they can't speak it at the time doesn't mean that they are not learning. And, although I was always taught this and believed that I followed it, I can now say that I can truly not judge a book by it's cover. Most people think they don't judge a person by how they look but in the back of their minds they're probably judging. When I first walked into their house, I admit that I looked at their clothes and thought to myself "What are they wearing?". I now know that it's just because they don't quite understand our clothing yet.

Through this experience I will more accepting and less judgmental and will be able to better communicate with people from different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment