1. For our third visit, the translator was not present because he had something else to do at that time. This made me a little nervous because, although they are improving, we still cannot really have actual conversations with the parents. However, the children were all there so that helped. We started off with a game of mega memory. We had separate groups of cards, one group pictures and the other the matching words. We started it out as a basic game of memory with them all upside down but after a while of very few matches being found we flipped them over and just had the family match the pictures to the words. After a while the children became very restless so Britteny took them outside to play while Colleen, Ainslie and I continued the memory game with the parents who were truly interested in learning. The father is more advanced but the mother still sat by and tried to learn. Once we finally finished the memory game we played UNO. When the kids came back inside they wanted to play with us but because we were in the middle of a game they decided to help their parents. I could tell that this was kind of annoying the father because wanted to play the way he wanted to and it wasn't helping him with his English to have the daughter always trying to play for him.
2. During the memory game it helped them to solidify the words they already know and learn some new ones. Even though it wasn't your typical game of memory after we flipped them all back over, they still were very attentive in learning the words and because they did not have the distraction of the children constantly helping them they were able to truly focus on learning not only the word but the explanations that we were able to provide when they asked. By always playing UNO, I feel like this is helping us to find a common ground, something that we all enjoy and that helps them to solidify their numbers. They are integrating well because although they speak their native language when talking to each other, they are trying to use English when talking to us.
3. I think that for our next couple of sessions we really need to work on putting together sentences. Although they are getting better, it'll help when they speak because it is one thing to know what things are and the word for them but you also have to know how to put the things you are learning into sentences. Also the little words that help to build sentences would be good to learn. I'll probably bring some children's books that I still have from when I was young so that we can read through them. I feel like this will help with the building of sentences because they will see and hear the little words that make up the sentence itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment