1. On our fourth visit, it was only Britteny and I. For this visit there was only the parents and two of the daughters, though one disappeared after a while. It was a lot calmer this time, which I feel helped the parents. On this visit we decided to bake cookies. We explained what each ingredient was and how much was needed and explained the recipe. The mother showed only a little interest and ended up taking a work book I had brought and looking at it one her own. As the cookies were baking, we went through the books I had brought. I brought a preschool workbook I had found in my closet and a couple of children's books. The books had a high ratio of pictures to text. The father read one of the books aloud and while he did that I helped him with words he didn't pronounce correctly or words he didn't know. The mother would either listen to her husband read or look through the books or workbook with the daughter.
2. They have become a lot more comfortable with us in that they will ask us questions when they don't know a word. When the father was reading and came across a word he did not know, although he did not directly ask, he would look at me and then kind of laugh to himself to kind of signal he didn't know. Also, he was switching "how" and "who" around and was able to tell that it was because they were the same letters. He never became frustrated even when he would switch those two words. As for the baking, we really wanted to do this to help them when it comes to reading recipes. We didn't know if they knew the abbreviation for the utensils, so teaching them will help them if they ever try to use American recipes. It would also give them an American treat if they ever wanted to have one.
3. I think they get the most out of the books so I feel like we should bring them the next time. It'll help them even more with sentence structure and by reading them aloud it'll help them become comfortable speaking English.
No comments:
Post a Comment